Monday 30 July 2012

Major project : open for inspection!

Hello All!I believe I owe you an explanation :) yes, the big question of  what 'my major project is all about'!
Its a little hard to explain it in all its entirety within the one blog post but Im going to give it a crack ;)

THE PROJECT : Instanostalgia (you saw the cover in yesterdays post!)

Below are a few extracts from my design report - Its a bit wordy, but grab a cup of tea and read up! I think you might find that its more interesting that it looks :) (if I do say so myself!)





THE PAST IS THE NEW PRESENT! The world we live in is driven by speed,technology and fleeting moments.

This rat race is stirring within us a desire to make lasting emotional , spiritual and tactile connection with our everyday lives , the people we meet and with the things we have.

In an age of cutting edge technology and sleek modern aesthetics , we crave for an alternative lifestyle, an 
approachable form beauty and the authenticity of a life of simplicity.



























While on the one hand we seek the beauty of the past and the simplicity of a bygone era , we are still 
influenced and powered by advancing technology. These two conflicting and contrasting needs are being brought together with a fast emerging trend that can be termed as TECHNOstalgia - the merging of advanced technology and human desire.We are turning to new-age digital technology to give us the old-world charm of the past.



























Parallel to the present being the new past, there is also the unchangeable fact that the past will always remain.While the trend is to convert the present to the past , the very concept of a nostalgic connection starts with the latter. Our past and the memories associated with it , trigger this need for staying connected to it.
For this textile collection , inspiration comes from a personal connection with a land rich in cutlure and colour.Ancient Indian architecture , all its splendour and granduer yet with the ability to establish a connection on a humble , personal level will inform print and pattern concepts for a range of fashion fabrics for Summer 2014

























Insta-technology creates a ‘rose-tinted’ visual of the ordinary everyday. This ‘rose-tinted’ aesthetic informs the colour palette for the collection.
Tinted pinks , clear sky blue and light filtered tones of brown and yellow are grounded with a deep , forest green.

And speaking of colour...thats what I spent today working on!8 hours in the print workshop , an aching pair of feet later , I still need to do more tweaking until I'm happy with all the colours and get the fabric dyes looking exactly as I want them too.
It is as painful as it sounds, but I realised while working today that there wasn't anything else I'd rather being doing and even not succeeding at colour matching was better than doing something I didn't love!
I did take photos of our print workshop and our dye dungeon lab to show you..in the next post!

Thanks for your time and support everyone(you know who you are!)I really do hope you love reading this as much as I love writing it and sharing it with you!

Until tomorrow...
T

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to tell me you've read this post :) Means alot!
Cheers!
T

A little bit about me

My photo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Hello! I'm Tanya or just T if you'd prefer. I'm a Textile designer by trade and lover of all kinds of lovely :) This blog is exactly about that and a wee bit about life, so feel free to take a little wander...x